Monday, May 19, 2008

The man, and his Dog

Last week Koo and I went to see this man about his dog. He wants to give it up for adoption and SOMEHOW I got involved in it as well. Honest. It was never MY intention to go anywhere the dog, but there I was, in the car on the way to Noida to see Dieter. Once we reached there, I have to say, the dog and the man were both so interesting that I wanted to adopt them both. :P

Dr. Ryder was just this witty, colorful old chap that you just cannot help but like him, if you are me. If you are you, you would probably have a different opinion. But then that's entirely your problem. Anywhichways, Dr. Ryder wanted to give the dog up cause when he travels about he has to leave the poor fellow in kennels and boarding houses and they both hate it. I then had this brillianto solution *pats back* that I would dogsit Dieter while he's out and about, that way they don't have to leave the dog with strangers in kennels and I get to have a dog.

Weeeeee! He agreed.
Well to test it out right now, cause I have never had a BIG dog before and even though Dieter is rather well behaved, I still need to see if I can really handle him. Not to mention Snowie and how he should not end up a masticated mess in Dieters tummy.

Dr. Ryder and his companion Manisha came over on Saturday with Dieter, and we tested him out with the house, with Bhumi and...... Snowie. Everything went well, so far so good. Sunday once again they trooped back to our house, this time with a pug in tow named Leo. Dr. Ryder showed us the ropes... or the leash in this case, on how to put it on the dog and "handle" him. Easier said than done. It's all swell when you are practicing it on your foot, it's another thing altogether when theres a 80 lbs dog at the end of your leash, showing off his awesome strength, a tug of which would send you tripping over your enthusiasm to "handle" this beast.

No. I did not trip. I did get dragged a bit, scrambling to stay upright.
No. It was NOT comical.
No. No one was laughing. Really.

What I really wanted to see how Dieter reacts to the pye-dogs and vice-versa. I cannot forget my lil rip with the Bully and yip, there he was... snarling in all his glory. It was amazing, how both Dr. Ryder and Dieter handled the bristling reception by Bully and Bullina (his mate) but then the man sure as hell has a good command over his dog than I would. I was a lil worried, what IF Dieter wouldn't listen to me. And, so we decided that I'll stick to routes that do not generally have Bullies and all Dieter needs to do is susu-potty and walk about a bit and thats all.

Alrighty.
What Dieter really likes to DO is:
- Get all EXCITED about his walk, so he sprints down the stairs like his tail is on fire, yipping happily and all the while I'm hanging on to the Banister desperately trying not to fall and lose all my teeth.
- He then DASHES about, sniffing this and pissing on that, all the while I'm tugged around at the end of his leash, trying again not to trip and break my nose.
- He needs to make potty on "high" ground, which generally means a flower pot, so far we have fertilized 3 pots.
- After he's done with his business, he calms down and bit and behaves. Which is good, cause by that time I'm limp anyways.

Back home, he seriously is a very well behaved dog. No begging for food, no messing up the furniture, no whining or crying for this and that, no scratching up the carpet. He just lays about peacefully by the balcony door and sleeps, or wants to be let out on the balcony to watch the world go by.

I'm hoping this arrangement works out to the benefit of both me and Dr. Ryder.
So far so good. :)

2 comments:

~nm said...

Post a pic of Dieter!

And if this makes you feel so happy, I will keep my fingers crossed so that we can start saying "Always good" instead of "So far so good" :)

Ami loves- said...

Photos posted!
And "always good" would be a neat lil change in me life.